And Dumbledore? And Lupin? And Dobby?
With a Time Turner, it would have been impossible to decide who to save, what event to change. What about Hedwig? Lily Potter? If all life is treated equal, than there are an inconceivable number of lives to save by turning back time. And yet, some deaths were for a greater good: Lily’s death is crucial to Voldemort’s defeat. Could the joy of a reunited family ever excuse the continence of the First Wizarding War?
I’m pretty sure Hermione turned in her Time Turner after Third Year. Would it be correct to assume that it was placed back in the Ministry and therefore destroyed? Or could it have been held by Hogwarts for the next ambitious student in need of it?
Time Turners bring up a mind-boggling array of potential changes, and I’m almost glad that the stock was destroyed (although this presumes that they were irreplaceable…) With them, we would always be stuck wondering, “Why didn’t she just change that? What if…”
• [x] You are loud.
• [x] You like going to school to see your friends.
• [ ] You’ve had more than a couple detentions.
• [x] You always have something to do on the weekends.
• [x] You like to be the center of attention.
• [x] You get above average grades in school.
• [x] You’ve been called bossy before.
• [ ] You’re a bit of a daredevil / you like an adrenaline rush.
• [ ] You are athletic.
• [ ] You are one of the best players on your team.
• [x] You would do anything for your loved ones.
• [ ] You like the color red.
• [x] Your favorite class is Transfiguration or DADA.
• [ ] You would never break a promise.
• [ ] You have many acquaintances, but only a handful of good friends.
• [ ] You get average grades in school.
• [ ] You’ve been called boring before.
• [ ] You don’t like to brag about your achievements.
• [x] You value honesty.
• [x] You don’t mind working hard to get what you want.
• [x] You like the color yellow.
• [ ] You have a job.
• [ ] You are athletic.
• [ ] You are a team player.
• [ ] You are in the middle of the social totem pole.
• [x] You are easily amused.
• [x] You like helping others.
• [ ] Your favorite class is Herbology or Divination.
• [ ] You like the music played on the radio best.
• [x] You get good grades in school.
• [x] You like to read.
• [ ] Dumb people annoy you.
• [x] You are creative.
• [ ] You’ve been called a know-it-all before.
• [x] You hate cheating.
• [ ] People often want you to help them with homework or projects.
• [x] You are more into the creative arts: theatre, dancing, drawing, etc.
• [x] You are extremely logical in your way of thinking.
• [x] You are considered shy or quiet by people you don’t know.
• [ ] You like the color blue.
• [ ] Your favorite class is A History of Magic, Charms, or Care of Magical Creatures.
• [x] You tend to over analyze things.
• [x] You can focus and pay attention well.
• [ ] You are very competitive.
• [x] You like the finer things in life.
• [ ] You think welfare is a waste.
• [ ] You’ve made fun of someone in the past week.
• [ ] You’ve been called a snob before.
• [ ] You think the end justifies the means.
• [x] You’re not afraid to say something to someone else’s face.
• [ ] You tend to think people are a bit jealous of you.
• [ ] You’ve made someone cry by just saying something to them.
• [ ] You tend to root for the villains in movies, books, etc.
• [x] You are very good with words.
• [ ] Above all, you want to be successful in life.
• [x] You like the color green.
• [x] You love to win.
• [ ] Your favorite class is Potions or DADA.
Ravenclaw, yes, thank you.
graphic submitted using a template.
Veritaserum works best upon the unsuspecting, the vulnerable and those insufficiently skilled (in one way or another) to protect themselves against it. For example, Barty Crouch had been attacked before the potion was given to him and was still very groggy, otherwise he could have employed a range of measures against the Potion - he might have sealed his own throat and faked a declaration of innocence, transformed the Potion into something else before it touched his lips, or employed Occlumency against its effects. In other words, just like every other kind of magic within the books, Veritaserum is not infallible. As some wizards can prevent themselves being affected, and others cannot, it is an unfair and unreliable tool to use at a trial.
Sirius might have volunteered to take the potion had he been given the chance, but he was never offered it. Mr. Crouch senior, power mad and increasingly unjust in the way he was treating suspects, threw him into Azkaban on the (admittedly rather convincing) testimony of many eyewitnesses. The sad fact is that even if Sirius had told the truth under the influence of the Potion, Mr. Crouch could still have insisted that he was using trickery to render himself immune to it.
So because people would be expecting it at a trial or to prove their innocence, they cannot use it.